Internet has become an integral part of every computer, and browsers are the main tool that is helping to interact with the global network. Each active Internet user has his favorite websites, which he visits several times a day. Typing down a website’s address is a procedure that takes a couple of seconds, but dong it too often might be quite very annoying. You can add a page of interest to your bookmarks, but it runs the risk of getting lost there among dozens of similar websites. There is a much simpler and more convenient way – to make a website shortcut on the desktop, and we will tell you how to do it.
Table of contents: 1. Creating a shortcut on a desktop by browser means - Google chrome - Opera and mozilla firefox 2. Creating a shortcut for website on the desktop with standard windows tools 3. How to change the default browser in windows 10
Creating a shortcut on a desktop by browser means
Modern browsers have dozens of features that most users are not even aware of. In any browser you can draw, type text, play, read books and watch movies. Naturally, browser developers made sure that users could create a shortcut to their favorite website on the desktop, and made it as simple as possible.
The most common browser is Google Chrome, which works great on computers of any capacity. Creating a website shortcut from Google Chrome is easy:
- Go to any website you would like to have a quick access to (for example, okeygeek.ru);
- Minimize the Google Chrome browser to the window if it is expanded to full screen, also minimize or close all other folders and applications so that the browser is directly above the desktop;
- Direct mouse cursor at the icon (white sheet with a curved edge) to the left from the website address and to the right from the “refresh” button. Now left-click your mouse on the icon and pull it to the desktop. Starting dragging, you will notice that the website name is “following” the mouse;
- Now you need to release the left mouse button on any empty space on the desktop, and the shortcut will be created.
Now, when you double-click on the created shortcut, the browser will open with the starting page of the selected website.
Opera and mozilla firefox
The process of creating a shortcut for Opera and Mozilla Firefox browsers is almost no different from how it is done for Google Chrome. The only difference is the designation of the sign that you need to pull to transfer the shortcut to the desktop. If the potential icon in Google Chrome is in the form of a sheet of paper with a curved edge, in Opera and Mozilla it resembles a planet.
Creating a shortcut for website on the desktop with standard windows tools
Windows has special tools that will help you to create shortcuts on the desktop not only for frequently used programs, but also for websites. The process of creating a desktop shortcut is very simple:
- Right-click on any shortcut-free area of the Windows desktop;
- In the menu that appears, select “New” – “Shortcut”;
- Now you are going to see a window where you can enter shortcut parameters; here you need to specify the address of the website that you want to open from the desktop in “Type the location of the item”. After the address is specified, click “Next”;
- In the next window, enter the name of the shortcut that will be created and click “Finish”;
- Now you can see a shortcut on the desktop, double-click it and there will open a website that you have chosen.
It should be noted that the program where the created shortcut will open depends on which browser is set on your computer by default. If you think that the website shortcut is opened in the wrong browser, you should change the default web browser.
It is worth noting that you can simply change the icon of the newly created shortcut. To do this you need to right-click on the shortcut and select “Properties”. In the menu that opens, you will be able to “Change icon”. It remains only to choose the version you like from the labels suggested by the system or specify your own.
How to change the default browser in windows 10
Changing the default browser in Windows 10 is quite simple, if you know the settings that should be addressed. First of all, make sure that the browser you wish to install as the main one is on your computer. Now you need to follow simple instructions and change the default browser in Windows 10:
- Click “Start” and in the menu that appears select “Settings”;
- Now you are going to see a menu with settings; here you need to click “Apps”;
- Click “Default Apps” on the left;
- On the right side of the screen, scroll to the bottom and find “Web Browser”, click at the option that is set as the main browser, and there will open a menu where you can specify another default system browser.
After that, the shortcut that was created above will start running in the selected browser. In addition, all links in text documents and other programs will be opening in the default browser too.