Windows 10 operating system, just like all previous versions of Microsoft software, has the function of restoring computer system files to key values. If you encounter some problems after installing new software or drivers, you can restore the computer settings if you have set a system restore point in advance. Unlike previous versions of the operating system, in Windows 10 system restore point is not being clearly created, which is why many users forget about such an important function.
Table of contents: 1. How to create windows 10 system restore point 2. How to restore windows 10?
How to create windows 10 system restore point
Creating a system restore point for a modern Windows is carried out in the system properties menu. The instructions below are relevant for Windows 10, Windows 8 and Windows 7 where the principles of creating a recovery point are almost identical.
Attention: Create an operating system restore point only if you are sure that the computer is working without any failures.
- Restore point should be created in the “System Properties”, which can be accessed in several ways.
- Through the Windows 10 control panel in the following way: “Control Panel” – “System” – “Advanced System Settings”;
- Through the command line: Press Windows + R and in the window that appears type the “sysdm.cpl” command.
- Once you are in “System Properties”, go to the “System Protection” tab.
- Here, when you first enter the menu items “Restore” and “Create” will be inactive. This is due to the fact that the recovery settings are not configured on the computer and the system drive is not selected. To do this, select one of the disks among the available options (it is better to give preference to the disk where the operating system is installed). Next, click “Configure”.
- You are going to see the menu where you need to “Turn on system protection”. Please note: You can also configure the maximum amount of space that recovery points will take. As it is filled, past Windows 10 recovery points will be deleted, making room for new ones. We do not recommend allocating a large amount of disk space for recovery points; 1-2% of the total storage is quite enough. After completing the system protection settings, click “OK”.
- Now the ability to create a Windows 10 system restore point is active, and you just have to click the “Create” button at the bottom of the menu.
- Next, to create a restore point, just write its name and click “Create”.
- After this, a process will start. It will take no more than 1-2 minutes; during its completion there will be created a backup system recovery point.
Now, if there are problems with the operating system, you will have the opportunity to restore it to the state it was in at the time of creating the recovery point. We recommend that you create Windows 10 recovery points only when you are completely sure that the system is operating correctly.
How to restore windows 10?
To restore Windows 10 system settings from the access point, you must perform the following sequence of actions:
- Go to “System Properties” through the “Control Panel” or by pressing Windows + R keys on the keyboard and write the “sysdm.cpl” command in the window that opens.
- Next, go to the “System Protection” tab and click “System Restore”. Attention: the “System Restore” button will be inactive if no access point was previously created on the computer.
- Directly after you click the “System Restore” button, you are going to see a new menu where you need to click “Next”.
- After that, you can select a recovery point, and at each of them you can see the programs that were changed since the creation of the key value.
- Select the Windows 10 restore point that you need, click “Next.”
- Once again, the operating system will ask you to make sure that the recovery parameters are set correctly, and now all you have to do is to click on the “Finish” button. After that, the process of restoring Windows 10 to the selected parameters will begin, which will last for some time (from a couple of minutes to an hour, depending on the number of parameters that need to be restored). At the end of recovery your computer will restart.
As you can see, restoring a computer on the Windows 10 operating system is quite a simple thing. The main task here is to keep several recovery points in the system memory. We recommend creating recovery points weekly or after any significant changes made to your computer.