Not always a Start button of the PC is placed in a comfortable way, so sometimes some users may have to do extra efforts to start their computers. In this situation they most likely will not switch off their computers completely, living it to work in a sleeping mode. Problem is that in this mode computer keep using electric power, some of it’s parts are not switched off fully, and hard disk and operating memory are reserving extra space so that the PC can “wake up” quickly.
It is recommended to switch of one’s computer every one hour within every 24 hours as minimum, so all computer spares will be fully cooled. And it is quite easy something to do even if the PC is situated in some uncomfortable way – far under the table, in some locker etc. You can start your computer even if it was completely switched off using just a keyboard. But first you have to set the right BIOS parameters.
Table of contents: 1. Which keyboard can be used to start a computer 2. How to start a computer using just a keyboard
Which keyboard can be used to start a computer
Before you start setting your PC to be switched on with the use of keyboard you need to remember the most important thing. This will work only with the wire that is connected through PS/2 protocol – a rounded connector on the motherboard. Those keyboards that are connected through the USB will not be able to start a computer if before that it was switched off completely.
There is nothing to worry about because it is very easy to find an adapter from PS/2 to USB. If you will connect USB-keyboard using this adapter your computer will read it as connected through PS/2. So even the USB-keyboard can easily be used to start a computer.
How to start a computer using just a keyboard
Basic BIOS system installed at any motherboard determines the amount of sources providing information that can be used to start a computer. In most cases there is only one source set – it will be a Start button connected to the motherboard’s certain connector. To add a keyboard as a new source of signal and be able to start your computer this way, you need to to the following:
- After you started your PC immediately press Del button and hold it until BIOS interface will be launched;
- Your next actions will depend on a BIOS version installed at your computer.
In case you have AMI BIOS:
- At the top of a graphic interface open the Power folder;
- Choose “AMP configuration”;
- There you will see an option says “Power on by PS/2 Keyboard”. It is exactly the one responsible for starting computer with keyboard. Here you will need to change a “Disable” parameter to the button combination that later on you will be using to start your PC: Ctrl+Esc, Space or starting button if there is one on your keyboard.
In case you have AWARD BIOS:
- At the basic system choose “Power Management Setup”;
- Find there an option called “Power on by Keyboard” and there change “Disable” to the desirable button combination that you will use to switch on your computer.
After fixing all necessary settings you need to save this new BIOS parameters and restart your computer.
At this point you will be able to start your PC from the completely switched off state by just clicking a certain button combination on your keyboard.