Every active computer user chooses a browser that suits him best. On Windows, the most popular browser is Google Chrome or Yandex Browser (in Russia), which are very similar. While on MacOS, many decide to give their preference to Safari – a built-in Apple’s browser. Safari browser meets all modern standards, and it is better adapted for MacOS, thereby keeping the computer battery better, and this is important for the MacBook. If you have been a Google Chrome user for a long time and decided to switch to Safari, you will probably need to transfer all the accumulated bookmarks. In this article, step by step we will look at several ways to transfer bookmarks from Google Chrome to Safari and back.
Table of contents: 1. How to transfer bookmarks from Chrome to Safari - Easy way - Hard way 2. How to transfer bookmarks from Safari to Chrome
How to transfer bookmarks from Chrome to Safari
There are several ways to transfer bookmarks to the Safari browser. Let’s take a closer look at two options. The first one is easy, but it may not work for one reason or another. The second one is more reliable.
You can transfer your bookmarks from Chrome to Safari in just a couple of clicks. This is what you have to do:
- Launch Safari on MacOS;
- Select in the top menu: “File” – “Import from” – “Google Chrome”;
- There will be an informational message suggesting that you select import items: bookmarks or history. You can mark two points at once, and then click “Import”.
Important note: At this stage, the browser may simply close, and after its launch there will appear an unexpected shutdown error. This usually happens if a lot of bookmarks have been accumulated in Google Chrome, and they cannot be imported this way. In such a situation, proceed to the more complex method described below.
If the first way to import bookmarks from Chrome to Safari did not work, you will need to proceed to a more complex option when your bookmarks will be exported from Google Chrome, and then imported directly from the created file, and not from the application.
Step by step follow these steps to transfer your Google Chrome bookmarks to Safari:
- Launch Google Chrome and click on 3 dots in the upper right corner to open the context menu. In this menu you need to select “Bookmarks” – “Bookmark Manager”;
- A new tab will open in the browser. This tab contains the full list of the active Google Chrome user’s bookmarks. Click on the 3 points in the upper right corner of the opened window and select the “Export bookmarks” item;
- You are going to see a window where you will be invited to name the text in HTML format, which is sent for export. Enter any name; select a saving location and click “Save”;
- Having exported the bookmarked file, you will only have to load it into the Safari browser. To do this, open Safari and in the top menu select “File” – “Import from” – “Bookmarks HTML file”;
- Finder opens and here you will need to select a previously exported file. Go to the directory where you saved the bookmarks export, and point to the created file. Now select “Import”.
After that, the imported tabs will be available in the Safari browser. They will be stored in a separate folder in the list of bookmarks.
How to transfer bookmarks from Safari to Chrome
If, on the contrary, you used Safari for a long time and accumulated a large number of bookmarks in it, and now you have decided to switch to Google Chrome, there is a way to transfer bookmarks. In general, the method is almost the opposite of the one discussed above.
In order to transfer your bookmarks from Safari to Chrome you need to execute the following steps one by one:
- Launch Safari on a Mac-based computer and select “File” – “Export bookmarks” in the top menu;
- Next, select the place where you want to save the file with the bookmarks exported from Safari, and also give it a name and click the “Save” button;
- After that, go to the Google Chrome browser and click on the three dots in the upper right corner to bring up the context menu. In this menu you need to select “Bookmarks” – “Bookmark Manager”;
- A separate tab of the bookmark manager will open. Here you need to click on the three dots in the upper right corner (on a blue background) and select “Import bookmarks”;
- A Finder window will open to search for the bookmark file on the computer. Find the desired file with the exported Safari bookmarks and click “Open”.
After that all your bookmarks will be available in a separate folder called “Imported done” in Google Chrome.