Apple smartphones and tablets are technologically sophisticated devices based on the right interaction between hardware and software. If a firmware crashes or a technical malfunction occurs, the iPhone or iPad most likely will not turn on. But not every time such a situation requires a service center specialist. The device owner can try to fix the problem on his own.
This article describes what to do if there is no visible damage, but the iPhone does not turn on. If the device, for example, is broken or dropped into the water, it is unlikely that the tips below will help to correct the situation.
Table of contents: 1. Iphone does not turn on and it’s display is not working 2. Iphone is not turning on but the apple logo lights up on the display
Iphone does not turn on and it’s display is not working
A common problem is when the iPhone does not respond to the power button or any other user’s actions. The display in this situation remains completely black and even the Apple icon does not light up on it. The most common cause of such a malfunction is either problem with the battery or with the firmware. If the iPhone does not turn on and the screen remains black, it is recommended to proceed as follows:
- If the device has been in the cold environment for a long time, the battery could lose its properties, and to restore those you will need to warm the iPhone. You can do this by rubbing the smartphone in your hands, or putting it in a warm place for a while. Important note: It is forbidden to use fire, red-hot surfaces or a microwave to warm the iPhone.
- If you are sure that the problem is not related to the cold environment, you should think of actually charging your iPhone. Even if the iPhone was charged before disconnecting, it must be charged again for at least 20 minutes. At the same time for charging there should be used only original Apple accessories – power supply and wire. If after 20 minutes of charging your iPhone does not turn on, you need to proceed to the third step of the instruction. Please note: There is a common opinion that before setting the device to charge, you need to turn on / off the silent mode using a slider on the side of the device.
- It might be useful to perform an emergency reboot for your smartphone. Try holding the Home button (button under the screen) and Power (the button that is responsible for locking the screen) for 10-15 seconds. This combination allows you to restart your iPhone if you experience problems with the software even when it is turned off.
If none of the tips mentioned above had helped to turn your iPhone on, you can try connecting the device to a computer using a USB cable. In such cases, the smartphone should turn on automatically. If this also doesn’t help, we can make a conclusion that there are problems with the battery.
Iphone is not turning on but the apple logo lights up on the display
When the smartphone completely refuses to turn on, in most cases the problem is with the battery. Moreover, if the device shows signs of life, but the booting process stops on the Apple logo – a bitten apple – the smartphone software is most likely malfunctioning. This problem occurs pretty often to those users who perform the wrong JailBreak iPhone, which causes problems with the original iOS firmware.
If the iPhone does not turn on but the apple appears, you will need to restore the device:
- Download the latest version of the iTunes application to your computer from the official Apple website, install it and launch it;
- Hold the Home and Power buttons on the smartphone at the same time for 10-15 seconds to perform an emergency reboot;
- Next, connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable. When the device is connected, hold the Home and Power buttons for 10-15 seconds once again. The Apple icon will appear on the iPhone for a while, and then you are going to see the iTunes icon and an image of a cable. At this point, you can release the buttons, because the device is now in recovery mode;
- On the screen of your computer you are going to see a window informing you that there are problems with the iPhone, and the device can be updated or restored. In this situation you need to click “Update”, and after that iTunes will try to eliminate errors that occurred with the device’s software, while maintaining the data. If the situation is not corrected within 15-20 minutes and the iPhone cannot be restored, you must disconnect it from your computer;
- After disconnecting the iPhone when the update failed, you need to repeat steps 2 and 3 of the instruction, but when the window appears asking you to upgrade or restore the device, select “Restore”. All data from the smartphone will be deleted, and the device software will be reset.
Please note: If you previously backed up your iPhone, after restoring, you can use that back up to restore all data to the device.